Entertaining on a Budget
By Lauren Bayne Anderson
Just because you don’t have a lot of cash doesn’t mean your social life has to suffer! Here are some ways that you and your crew can have a blast without busting the bank.
- The pot luck “crawl”. Organize a night where all of your friends make a different dish. Then go house hopping to sample each of the dishes. Like a bar crawl, but with food.
- The good old-fashioned potluck. Get a group together once a week and alternate whose crib the event will be held at. Everyone invited brings a dish. Before you know it, for a contribution of $5, you’ve got a big regular-standing home cooked meal.
- BYOB. Everyone brings a six pack (of something LEGAL) and a bag of chips. Organize it around something fun (and free)—a sporting event, a TV series, hey, you can even organize it around election night! Or, forget the “event” and just plug your iPod into some speakers. A party will most definitely ensue.
- Movie night. Start a film club. Organize a crew for a once-a-week get together where you rent a movie and discuss afterward. Like a book club, but there’s no advance reading (don’t you get enough of that in class?). The upsides: This will work with every crowd—from action seekers, to horror lovers, to the IFC types. And once you’ve all chipped in on the $4 rental fee, you’ve had a good time for about fifty cents.
- Card tournament. These are a staple at historically black colleges and universities with Spades, but they will work just about anywhere. Whether it’s Poker, Spades, Bridge or whatever, it’s always a good time. Once you’ve organized a crew with regular game nights, narrow down the players in an end of season “tournament” and make the final game into a big BYOB event, where other non-players are invited. Up the stakes, and play for “dollars” on your meal card — in addition to bragging rights.
- Bring back the great outdoors. There’s so much you can do outside and most if it’s cheap or free. Bonfires are a great insta-party— especially if you live near a beach. If you have a tent and a sleeping bag, camping is cheap to free and a lot of fun with great group of friends. Or, take the traditional pot-luck outdoors for a barbeque twist. Assemble your crew and let the good times roll!
Need money to pay for college?
Every semester, Fastweb helps thousands of students pay for school by matching them to scholarships, grants and awards for which they actually qualify. Sign up today to get started. You'll find scholarships like the Niche $1,000 Back to School Scholarship, and VIP Voice's $5,000 Scholarship.