Types of Aid: Dollars for Change - Fastweb

Types of Aid: Dollars for Change

By Kay Peterson, Ph. D.

September 04, 2008

Types of Aid: Dollars for Change

Parent Loans

The federal Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS) lets parents borrow money to cover any costs not already covered by the student’s financial aid package.

To learn more about federal loans, read the federal government’s Student Guide for federal aid at http://studentaid.ed.gov.

Private Loans:

  • Private loans supplement aid provided by the federal government.
  • Since they are offered by private lenders, there are no federal forms to complete.

Alternate Financial Aid Programs

  • National Service: Volunteering not only helps the disadvantaged, it can provide money for your college education. The Corporation for National Service offers a number of opportunities for funding in exchange for community service.
  • Tuition Payment Plans: Many schools offer short-term installment plans that split your tuition into equal monthly payments. Many such plans are essentially interest free, but some have fees or finance charges. Learn more about these plans on FinAid.org.
  • Employer Support: Many companies recognize the value of investing in an employee’s educational development. Ask your employer about tuition reimbursement programs.
  • Benefits for Military Service: The military offers a number of tuition assistance programs, including ROTC, Army/Navy/Marine Corps College Funds and U.S. Service Academies.
  • Tax Credit: The HOPE Scholarship Credit and The Lifetime Learning Credit establish a tax credit for higher education.

Need money to pay for college?

Every semester, Fastweb helps thousands of students pay for school by matching them to scholarships, grants and awards for which they actually qualify. Sign up today to get started. You'll find scholarships like the Course Hero's $5,000 Scholarship, and easy to enter scholarships like Niche $2,000 No Essay Scholarship.

Join the Discussion