Jacksonville State University (JSU) is a regional public coeducational university located in Jacksonville, Alabama, USA. Founded in 1883, Jacksonville State offers programs of study in five academic units leading to Bachelor's, Master's, Education Specialist, and Doctorate in addition to continuing and distance education programs. In the Fall semester of 2011, JSU began offering the school's first doctoral degree, Doctor of Science in Emergency Management.
The university was founded as Jacksonville State Normal School, and in 1930 the name changed to Jacksonville State Teachers College, and again in 1957 to Jacksonville State College. The university began operating as Jacksonville State University in 1967. In 2008, the university celebrated its 125th anniversary.
JSU currently has an enrollment of nearly 9,500 students, with nearly 500 faculty members (more than 320 of whom are full-time). Jacksonville State's Business School was ranked within the nation's top tenth percentile by the Princeton Review. The current University President is Dr. William A. Meehan.
With a focus on providing a quality education, Jacksonville State University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS). In addition, 40 academic programs (79% of programs that can be accredited) earned specialized programmatic accreditations. These programs include business, education, engineering and technology, nursing, social work, drama, art, music, computer science, family and consumer science, and communication.
221 international students representing 73 countries were enrolled in the 2011-2012 academic year. The University has run its International House program, an international exchange program, for over 60 years. JSU is also nationally recognized for its marching band, the Marching Southerners, which performs before thousands each year at marching exhibitions, football games, and parades.
- Public, Four or more years
- $15,300.00 avg tuition
700 Pelham Road North
Jacksonville, AL 36265
Areas of Study:
- Biological And Biomedical Sciences
- Business, Management, Marketing, And Related Support Services
- Communication, Journalism, And Related Programs
- Computer And Information Sciences And Support Services
- Engineering Technologies And Engineering Related Fields
- English Language And Literature/Letters
- Family And Consumer Sciences/Human Sciences
- Foreign Languages, Literatures, And Linguistics
- Health Professions And Related Programs
- Homeland Security, Law Enforcement, Firefighting And Related Protective Services
- Liberal Arts And Sciences, General Studies And Humanities
- Mathematics And Statistics
- Parks, Recreation, Leisure, And Fitness Studies
- Physical Sciences
- Public Administration And Social Service Professions
- Social Sciences
- Visual And Performing Arts
Schools Near Jacksonville State University
|Gadsden State Community College||17.4mi|
|West Georgia Technical College||34.7mi|
|Snead State Community College||34.9mi|
|New Beginning College of Cosmetology||39.1mi|
|Georgia Highlands College||40.1mi|
|University of West Georgia||42.1mi|
|Georgia Northwestern Technical College||44.0mi|
|Southern Union State Community College||49.3mi|
|Northeast Alabama Community College||50.7mi|
|Jefferson State Community College||55.4mi|
|Vogue Beauty School||58.9mi|
|University of Phoenix-Birmingham Campus||59.8mi|