College Career Centers Provide More than Jobs
Your college career center isn't just for graduating seniors.
By Kathleen Carmichael, Ph.D., and Tavia Evans
March 06, 2009
Attend practice sessions your career center offers to polish your interviewing skills and maximize your job opportunities.
- Career Competency Seminars: Discover how to translate your life experience into skills you can put on your resume. These seminars teach you how to look at your past experience from an employer’s point of view.
- Interview Workshops: Take a “practice run” to strengthen your interviewing skills, whether you’re applying for a job or professional school.
- Resume and Cover Letter Review: Not sure whether to use boldface or bullet-points? Your career center can proofread your resume and cover letter and offer tips for a professional polish.
- Internships: Companies often post internship notices at college career centers. Internships offer flexible hours, valuable work experience, resume-building credits and post-graduate references.
- On-Campus Interviews: Many companies go directly to college campuses to recruit new employees. Check the interviewing schedules at your career center to find when companies are coming to your campus.
- Summer, Part-time or Temporary Jobs: Career centers often have listings of companies or organizations in need of temporary and short-term employees.
For Graduation and Beyond
- Applying to Professional School: If you’re considering law, medical or business school, the career center can connect you with educational services that offer practice tests and helpful info like deadlines, standards and fees.
- Applying to Graduate School: Get the latest on program requirements, financial aid and timelines for applying to advanced degree programs.
- Tests for Graduate and Professional School: If you’re taking the GRE, LSAT, MCAT or GMAT, check your career center to learn about test dates, scoring practices and how your scores affect your application.
- Post-Graduate Support: You may be able to use your school’s job search services after graduation. Keep in touch with your school’s alumni network to make the most of these resources.
Don’t wait until senior year to use an invaluable service on campus. Your college career center can help you achieve your goals from freshman year through graduation and beyond.
Need money to pay for college?
Every semester, Fastweb helps thousands of students pay for school by matching them to scholarships, grants and awards for which they actually qualify. Sign up today to get started. You'll find scholarships like the Course Hero's $5,000 Scholarship, and easy to enter scholarships like Niche $2,000 No Essay Scholarship.