College Admissions Checklist
By Carrie Greenberg
June 09, 2007
- Start thinking about college choice. Make an appointment to talk with your guidance counselor.
- Register with www.fastweb.com to find the money you need for college.
- Plan to take your PSAT during your junior year and start studying for the ACT or SAT.
- Summer after Junior Year
- Visit college campuses and ask friends in college for their advice.
- Request applications and brochures from your top colleges.
- Get started on college application essays by writing sample drafts.
- Take some time out to prepare for your standardized tests.
- Get your applications in order by creating files for your target schools. Make a list of application requirements (essays, transcripts, etc.) and deadlines.
- Request letters of recommendation from teachers and community leaders.
- Talk to your parents about college costs. Decide how much you can afford and explore your options for funding.
- Visit www.finaid.org to learn more about financial aid.
- Apply for scholarships from private organizations. Check your FastWeb search results for new scholarships.
- If you’re applying through Early Action or Early Decision, get your application in this month.
- Work on those college applications. Many applications are due in early January.
- File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as soon as possible after January 1.
- Check with your prospective colleges about additional financial aid application forms and requirements.
- Check the mail for admissions letters and financial aid awards.
- Compare your admissions offers. Ask your guidance counselor to help you weigh your options.
- Time for a decision! Most schools ask that you choose your school by May 1.
- Don’t forget to notify schools you have decided not to attend.
- Doublecheck any final deadlines for housing, financial aid, etc.
- Have your final transcripts sent to your new school.
Need money to pay for college?
Every semester, Fastweb helps thousands of students pay for school by matching them to scholarships, grants and awards for which they actually qualify. Sign up today to get started. You'll find scholarships like the Niche's $1,000 Summer Scholarship, and VIP Voice's $5,000 Scholarship.