Virtual Campus Tours
By Bridget Kulla
Sometimes traveling halfway across the country to check out all the campuses on your college list isn’t possible. You can still learn your way around the quad and see what dorm rooms really look like with online college tours.
- in Ithaca, New York, offers slide shows, video tours, audio clips and commentaries from students on topics ranging from academics to social life on campus on their Web site.
- Tour the h through a photo slide show. Want to see what’s happening on campus right now? A webcam lets you control a bird’s-eye view of campus.
- The photo tour on Web site covers more ground than your average hour-long walking tour. Check out the library and then head across town to view the Cleveland Museum of Art in a matter of seconds with the online tour.
- The admissions office at in Milwaukee put together this eight-part video touring the campus. Want another look without tour guides? Take a photo tour or use the building finder to skip to the sites that interest you.
- A video tour available on the Web site shows you around campus and gives highlights of Boise, Idaho. See what BSU students say about their school with student interviews.
- Take a student-hosted tour of all-women’s in Columbia, Missouri. Want to learn more about this small liberal arts college? You can also view student-produced films, academic video previews and link to the from their Web site.
- Get the picture of University of Notre Dame’s campus with a or a live shot of the Indiana campus from the . A covers a lot of ground, but lacks narration.
Can’t find your prospective colleges on the list above? Search for more tours at:
- Get an overview of schools from Georgetown University to the University of Arizona with over 184 online videos at . These flashy videos feature statistics, views of campus, interviews with students and professors, and more.
- One of the campus tours produced by theURocks.com, this video provides a glimpse of student life rather than a complete tour of campus.
- Find official campus tour videos, maps and campus photos at . Search by college name, alphabetically or by state.
Check the admissions page on the Web sites of colleges you’re considering to see what kind of virtual tours they offer.