Coca-Cola Awards $3.4 Million in Scholarships. Here's What They Look For.
April 22, 2009
Patti Ross, Vice President of the Coca-Cola Scholars Foundation, has been giving away money to students for 10 years. She often says that “scholarship providers aren’t mind readers,” but she’s letting you become one. Ross is dishing out scholarship provider secrets so that you can be a better candidate.
Every game needs a strategy, and every building needs a blueprint. In the admissions and scholarship process, you need both. Ross encourages students to build their own blueprint for scholarship success.
A blueprint has four components:
- Notes essentials for scholarship applications
- A positive and confident attitude
- A clear definition of who you are and who you want to be
- An assessment of your top skills
Ross emphasizes that “you are your own best salesperson!” If there is something you think the scholarship committee should know about you, tell them. Also, if you’re having trouble figuring out what you should convey about yourself, start by picking 15-25 adjectives that describe you. From there, start developing a game plan to showcase those personal assets.
When you’re going through the scholarship process, don’t skip the essentials:
- Research and identify relevant information to the scholarship or program
- Be aware of every deadline
- Be accurate in your essays and timeliness
- Get feedback from the people that know you best
Got all that? Now, take this advice and start applying for your scholarship matches on FastWeb. And look for more advice from top scholarship providers like Coca-Cola, only on the new FastWeb.
- Sniff Out Scholarship Scams
- Scholarships for Dummies
- Get to the Point—and Win Scholarship Judges Over
- How Not to Lose Your Scholarship
Need money to pay for college?
Every semester, Fastweb helps thousands of students pay for school by matching them to scholarships, grants and awards for which they actually qualify. Sign up today to get started. You'll find scholarships like the Niche's $1,000 Summer Scholarship, and VIP Voice's $5,000 Scholarship.