Scholarships for Hispanic and Latino Students
Check out scholarships that are exclusive to Hispanic students.
June 17, 2009
Recruiting Programs for Hispanic Students
National Hispanic Recognition Program (NHRP)
The National Hispanic Recognition Program (NHRP) is sponsored by The College Board to recognize about 5,000 outstanding Hispanic high school seniors each year. The list of these students is sent to subscribing colleges and universities for recruiting. To be included in the list, the students must be at least one-quarter Hispanic and satisfy minimum GPA and PSAT scores by state.
Internship Programs for Hispanic Students
Hispanic National Internship Program (HNIP)
The Hispanic National Internship Program provides paid summer and school-year internships to Hispanic students who have completed their freshman year of college with 3.0 or higher GPA on a 4.0 scale.
US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
The CDC sponsors the Hispanic-Serving Health Professions Schools (HSHPS) Summer Internship Program.
Directories of Hispanic Scholarships
- The Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute publishes a National Directory of Scholarships, Internships and Fellowships for Latino Youth and a Guide to Applying for Financial Aid and Scholarships.
- Latino College Dollars is a directory of scholarships for Latino students compiled by the Thomas Rivera Policy Institute.
- The Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund (MALDEF) publishes a directory of scholarships for Hispanic students organized according to immigration status.
- US Congresswoman Lucille Roybal-Allard (34-CA) publishes Paying for College Student Resource Guide a list of scholarships available to Hispanic and Latino students.
Other articles on Fastweb of interest to Hispanic students and their parents include:
- Nomination of Sonya Sotomayor Inspires Hispanic Students
- Obstacles to Hispanic Higher Education
- Five Simple Things to Get Kids To Think the C-word (College)
- Internship and Mentoring Programs for Hispanic Students
- Latino Students: 10 Reasons to Study Abroad
- Hispanic-Friendly Colleges
- Hispanic-Serving Institutions
- Hispanic Celebs Dish on College Advice
The FinAid site includes the following articles of interest to Hispanic students and their parents: